Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dance in your underwear

How would you describe yourself?  Most of us would use simple titles like Mom, Wife, Manager etc...but what do those titles really say about US as people? Does it tell others about who we are underneath our public persona or are they deliberate high level designations that give us anonymity?

I'm less of a high level person and more of a get-down-to-the-details sort of person.  I joke with people that I haven't spoken with in a while and say, 'Hey, it's Jennifer, you know, short girl, dark hair?'  (I should probably get a new line as I've used that one for years.)  That stems from wanting people to see me as I see myself. 

I know who I am.  I think that's important.  Sounds obvious I know, but I think a lot of us are still trying to figure out who we are and what makes us happy.  When I was younger, I was so concerned about what other people thought of me.  I still am to a point I guess.  Then I get to a point where I just don't have the energy to worry about others opinions and say who cares?   I'm comfortable in my own skin, so if they don't like what they see, they'll just have to get over it. 

I find it interesting that we put our fellow human beings into safe little categories and never spend time getting to know the person underneath.    I love this quote "Everyone looks "stupid*" once you put your mind to it."  David Sedaris  (* I edited this quote slightly as I didn't care for the word the author chose.) 

It's so true isn't it?  You can convince yourself that I'm a loud mouthed, pushy broad, but if you took the time to get to know me, you'd realize I'm not like that at all.  (Well, maybe the loud mouthed part is true...)  That's just part of the 'act.' I'd hazard a guess that most of us have an 'act' that you put on to keep people out of your business.

Other people's expectations or perceptions of us shouldn't act as a foundation for who and what we really are.   I'm not promoting telling people off - their perceptions are their own.  I'm simply advocating that we not give a damn about them!   

Woohoo!  What freedom comes with that!  Now I'm not suggesting you run around work in flip flops, cut off Daisy Dukes and a tube top!  Wear that at home...if you must!  There's a time and a place.  I can be 'me' at work for the most part, but 'me' is mixed with the appropriate professional decorum as would be befitting of a manager responsible for policies and "stuff."

I want people to understand who I am at the core - values, beliefs etc...but what they think of that is their business.  I'm a very direct (in case you missed it) person and have issues with being politically correct and tap dancing around the pink elephant in the middle of the room.  I typically start out conversations talking about the elephant actually.  

To quote Popeye's famous line, "I yam what I yam."    So I'll leave you with this, if you see an elephant, address it.  They get really lonely you know!  If you know someone who has the wrong perception of you - tell them.  There's something very freeing in that.  Otherwise, dance in your underwear, sing off key and enjoy who you are!  You're an original and you were made that way for a reason!

Happy Thursday Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment