Sunday, July 1, 2012

Namaste Ya'll

According to the FreeDictionary.com, yoga can be defined as:
.
1. also Yoga A Hindu discipline aimed at training the consciousness for a state of perfect spiritual insight and tranquility.
2. A system of exercises practiced as part of this discipline to promote control of the body and mind.

I'm not really sure what I thought about yoga before today, but I know I always likened yoga with pain.  Not sure why, I guess just watching people on TV doing yoga always made me wince.  So this morning, when my friend Kiesha arrived at 8:55AM - I was totally unsure of what to expect.

Kiesha is a great friend whom I met through a former job who has become an accomplished yoga instructor and has started her own business called, Yoga-Me.  If you live in the Charlotte, NC area, I highly recommend you shoot her an email and check out one of her classes or even better, have her come to your house like I did and do a one-on-one session.  There was no pain - at all.  And in my world, that's saying a great deal.

It was probably one of the most relaxing things I've ever done that actually worked my muscles!  I can't wait until our next session - but I promise you this, due to my ridiculously short arms, I will never become a true yoga devotee.  It's true what they say about your arm length being equal to the length of your feet - tiny feet + short arms = awkward yoga to be sure!

My goal for doing yoga is really to gain back my upper body strength that was lost after so many surgeries - and if I get cut arms out of the deal, hey, I'll take it!  I'll never have Kiesha's 'guns', but I'll be satisfied with arms that look like they belong to a 40 something and not a 60 something! :o)

I also want to find some methods for stress relief - learning different ways to breathe based upon my situation could be really important - that and I'd love to find a way to go back to sleep at night when my brain won't be quiet.  I have a lot of those...maybe soon I won't!  Either way, I loved my first foray into yoga and I hope to learn much more about it - and soon!  You've been warned Kiesha!

As for today, it was another blazing hot one here in the South - I hope that wherever you are that you are staying cool, calm and relaxed - and enjoying your weekend!

Namaste Ya'll!  Happy Sunday and Happy July!

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up; I knew you would do your research (i.e. the yoga definition). And former Manager Jennifer clearly noted Kiesha’s punctuality 8:55 am).

    Reading this ended and started great weeks for me. Thanks!

    Until we meet again, look forward to using blocks and straps for our next session ;)

    Go Team McGowan!

    ReplyDelete