Monday, July 16, 2012

Call Me Old Fashioned....

Old movies are just so great.  I'm a sucker for a Cary Grant or Audrey Hepburn movie.  I've always wondered why I've been drawn to my old, sappy flicks, but I am.  In fact today, I actually cheered out loud when I found out that Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House was on!  Cary Grant and Myrna Loy - they are so good together on screen.  What a great way to chill out and smile.  I love the glimpse into the past... 

Here are a few things I've learned about the 1940s and 50s from watching my old movies (read sarcasm here):

1.  Twin beds are always used.  Never was a couple shown in bed together.
2.  They always had the perfect pajamas and bathrobes were always at the foot of their beds.
3.  No pants for women, period- unless it's Katherine Hepburn of course.
4.  The women hardly ever worked out of the house.
5.  Hats - most important part of their wardrobes.
6.  Seat belts didn't exist - in movies at least.
7.  Pipes and cigarettes were required accessories for men and women.
8.  When a husband wants his wife to be quiet, he says, Now Muriel, or Jennifer etc...how polite!
9.  A pocket square was key to complete the three piece suit for men.
10.  If couples kissed, they never, ever actually moved their lips.

How funny is it, that this is what our generation knows about the 1940s.  What on earth will our kids think of our generation by watching our movies?? I'm really scared of that idea actually.  Think about it, if girls thirty years from now watch Sex in the City movies, they'll think we all drank like fish, slept with anyone who moved and were completely neurotic. 

How about Ted?  I know I said I just saw it and thought it was hysterical - but 30 years from now, it will look pathetic.  A stuffed animal smoking a bong on a couch next to his best friend, a guy who shows up late to work and sneaks away to smoke pot and idolizes an actor from a horrible movie from his youth?  What a great example we'll set for the next generation through our movies!

I know there are some that are great pictorials of our times....The Help, Forest Gump, Pursuit of Happyness, The Bucket List etc...I just wish that we lived in a time where people took pride in their lives, selves and families....maybe then we'd have fewer movies that focus on things that poke fun at others or on the negatives of our generation....let's have more movies with happy endings people!!!

I know I'm being idealistic, but I'd rather watch Gone with the Wind than Step Brothers any day....

Happy Monday Ya'll!

1 comment:

  1. They do have fantastic hats!

    Thanks for the interesting post.

    You have a great blog. :)

    ReplyDelete