Saturday, July 7, 2012

I Want to Be Tall and Blond

Negotiation with God is simply silly you know.  (Sorry, just talking to myself here for a minute.)  I'm a very matter-of-fact person - I'm not always black and white about things, in fact, I love me some grey areas.  But I think that religion either 'is or isn't' for you. 

Obviously you've probably figured out, religion is for me.  In fact, it's been the one constant in my life - well, that plus my love of shoes.  Seriously, I think I've gravitated towards religion, Catholicism in particular, for most of my life because I love the continuity and tradition of it.

I've loved that no matter where I live, church is always the same.  I love being a part of something bigger than me that has meaning and affects my heart in such a good way.  I love to sing at church - in fact some weeks at mass, singing can even bring me to tears!  (Maybe that's the hormones singing!)

I've never been what you might call a 'bible-whacker' but I have a deep faith that is a big part of who I am.  Most people don't know that about me.  But, I'm constantly talking with God - I've joked before that He's probably tired of hearing my voice - that's because I'm constantly chattering to Him.  I'm so thankful for the little things, I just want to let Him know.  Ok, I know you're thinking that saying it is overkill - He can hear my thoughts.  I get you.  I just feel better saying it. 

So I guess when it comes down to it, I have so much to feel thankful for, I feel a bit guilty.  Hey, I'm Catholic.  It's inherent.  So I'm constantly reaffirming how much I appreciate the gifts I've been given.  I'm here.  I've found my husband after so many years of wondering if I'd ever find the right person and I've got such great friends and family - I'm truly blessed.

Yes there are things I'd love to wrap up and call done - you know, I'd love to be tall and blond, I'd love to  have a normal shoe size, things like that - you thought I was going to mention babies didn't you?  Gotcha!  See, that's one I don't have to say out loud - my heart does that for me.

I hope that you have so many things to be thankful for that you almost feel guilty too - and I mean that in the best Catholic way possible.  Guilt is just part of our lives.  If you're having a good day, you feel bad that someone else didn't. If you have a bad day, you wonder what you did wrong to deserve it. It's a vicious circle my friends.

All kidding aside, I don't quote scripture and I don't memorize bible stories, but I do know that God made us in His likeness and while we're here on Earth, we need to make it count.  So, I'll  leave you with this, a favorite Irish Prayer:

May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.

Happy Saturday Ya'll!


No comments:

Post a Comment