Thursday, August 30, 2012

Let's Re-define High Risk Shall We?

Well, we have hit 12 weeks - the beginning of it at least!  Today is a big day for us and Baby McG!  We meet our new doctor!  We'll call him Dr. Wickham - aka Pride and Prejudice.  He comes highly recommended so we're pretty excited.

Baby McG is the size of a lime right now!  Woohoo!  Here are some other fun facts about what will happen this week!
The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it.

Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long and weighs about half an ounce.

How fun - our baby's brain is firing away!  I promise not to poke my stomach to make him/her squirm!  That just sounds mean.  Maybe Baby McG will take that into consideration and not poke ME too much in the future! :o)

The interesting part of this visit will be convincing the doctor that I'm not as high risk as he might think I am.    Since our baby is adopted, (See Winkin, Blinkin & Nod), the baby is the product of an egg that was only 34 years old - not an antique 45 year old egg like mine are.    So there's a big difference in genetic testing I'm sure and hopefully they will let me breathe a bit more.  Of course when I tell them my trachea is collapsed, that might cause another wave of panic, but we'll get to that.   NO worries right?

I'm sure I will help to redefine the term "high risk" but hey, I'm used to living outside of the medical box.  I'm made for this kind of thing.  I hope he's the kind of doctor who listens to his patients' gut - as in instincts.  Time will tell. 

Overall we're trying to focus more on the excitement and fun of things.  I'm still feeling like I've been in a car accident - Dr. Matt's doing his best.  My nausea is now more just a sensitivity to smells of all kinds - so I eat here and there.  Still not eating well, but I'm eating - so we're getting somewhere.

I'm looking forward to a long holiday weekend and maybe some mattress shopping!  Goodness knows, this body could use a soft landing pad at night!

Hope you all are having a great week!

Happy Thursday Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment