Saturday, September 21, 2013

Parlez-vous français?

Have I mentioned that little man loves when I sing to him in French?  Seriously.  He can be screaming his head off, teething and starving, but when I break into:
Frère Jacques, frère Jacques,
Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?
Sonnez les matines! Sonnez les matines!
Ding, dang, dong. Ding, dang, dong.
The child will break into a huge smile and stare at me like I’m the center of the universe!  I noticed that his Baby Einstein toys will play classical music or old school nursery rhymes.  Sometimes you’ll hear a mix medley of Frère Jacques or Alouette – so I think that’s what made me think of those songs.  Blake loves music to begin with, but if he could make requests, I’m pretty confident it would be Alouette over and over and over again!
I hope we’re not creating a Francophile!  Down the road, we’ll probably need to expose him to other songs and retire the French, but for now I secretly love it. 
Another of his favorites is one that drives B just crazy.  As soon as I utter the first word of the song he snaps! J  So of course I feel compelled to sing it all the time too;
A Bushel and a PeckI love you, a bushel and a peck!
A bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck!
'Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do –
It’s from Guys and Dolls and I have NO earthly idea what brought it into my head.  I was in the musical in high school, but that was a really, really long time ago.  The other night, Blake was in bed and I was sort of watching Julie and Julia for the 4000th time… and lo and behold, A Bushel and A Peck began to play in the background!  Maybe that’s where I got it from…either way B was groaning when it began to play. Teehee…
Every time I sing that one, Blake breaks into an adoring smile with an expression that says, “Sing it again mommy!”  I do my best to channel my inner Doris Day, but I know my voice is sadly lacking; he loves it anyway!   
Isn’t he the perfect child? ;o)  Happy Saturday Ya’ll!

No comments:

Post a Comment