Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Towels and China and Flowers, Oh My!


You know those towels you have in the bathroom that are 'for guests only'? Then, when the guests come, they don't use them because they don't want to mess them up?   Towels should NOT get dusty!  Come on, you know what I'm talking about!    How about only using your good china for special occasions or those special wine glasses that you 'save' for celebrations? 

My favorite is when women buy a pair of shoes that they just love and have to have, and then don't wear them because you don't want to 'ruin them.' I could go on and on - I'm fascinated by the concept that people want to save things for a later time to make them seem more special. 

I grew up in a beautiful home that had a living room filled with furniture that we weren't allowed to sit on.  (Sorry Mom).  The dog wasn't allowed in the room either, so it wasn't just us. It's a long standing family joke that you just didn't sit in my parent's living room unless you were asked.  We took pictures there for our wedding - obviously we rated that day - I would hazard a guess that we(I) sat in that living room about once/twice a year.  The room meant a lot to my Mom and in her defense, I wouldn't want 3 dirty kids and a dog running through there either...but that was then.  In my parents current home, you can sit where you want! Yay!

In fact, when we bought our little yellow house, I specifically chose a house without a living room!  I didn't want to clean a room that we never used.  We definitely lounge in our house, feet up, afghans out, comfort rules.  I use most of my good 'every day' china, but must confess, I have my grandmother's china and family silver and don't use it. (I have to work on that.)

I learned early in my life, that you never know what tomorrow will bring - so I love to use the special stuff when I feel like it.  I carry my 'good' purse every day, use the Wedgewood & Waterford for a cook-out and buy myself flowers at Trader Joe's.  I enjoy those things and dammit, why not treat myself once in a while?

Tiffany Weave
Hexagonal vase

Don't get me wrong, I don't spend our money on lots of frivolous things but, we do use our 'special stuff;'  we appreciate it and enjoy it daily - not just on special occasions.  One of my favorite things is a vase B bought me from Tiffany's.  (Gasp.)  Yes, Tiffany's.  I so love it there. (but that's another story.)  What can I say, I'm a sucker for a basket weave and ok, so it's a little frivolous, but it called to me!

Bottom line folks, enjoy your life!  If you like flowers, buy some $5 daisies or pick some for yourself.  Use those towels with the monograms!  Wear the jewelry or shoes you've been saving and enjoy them.  Dress for yourself - wear those new boots to the grocery store and stop saving things for later. 

This living in the moment concept doesn't apply to just 'things' either!  Take the time to enjoy life and take a walk outside.  Go to the theater or listen to music you like - read a book you've wanted to read and take time for yourself.  Go play! You'll be all the better for it.

I know I've driven some of you crazy with this, but I have to share a song I've been listening to lately by Jason Mraz - here are some of the lyrics to a new song of his - Living in the Moment:
If this life is one act
Why do we lay all these traps?
We put them right in our path
When we just wanna be free

I will not waste my days
Making up all kinds of ways
To worry about all the things
That will not happen to me

So I just let go of what I know I don't know
And I know I'll only do this by
Living in the moment
Living our life
Easy and breezy
With peace in my mind
With peace in my heart
Peace in my soul
Wherever I'm going, I'm already home
Living in the moment

I've really been affected by this song for some reason and I think it fits what I'm trying to say here - Later is here - Make some memories!  Make it fun, laugh, appreciate life and don't worry about the mess or dirtying those towels - that's what they're there for...   


No comments:

Post a Comment