Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Joys of Gluten Free...

Focusing on the sarcasm here....I HATE being Gluten Free.  Let me reiterate...having to eat Gluten Free is so frustrating that I want to stomp my feet and whine about the general unfairness of it.  I miss so much - GOOD pizza, bread in general - how good is a nice soft potato roll????  Gluten Free flour, while a mental placebo, does little for the palette.  I've started to venture in Gluten Free baking and let me tell you, it's not for the feint of heart.  I graduated near the top of my class in culinary school and baking is my passion; also known as my zen time.  Gluten Free baking is nothing but a stressful undertaking.  It's not instinctive for me yet and that is frustrating.   I think it will be a while before I just decide to head into the kitchen and throw together a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread - right now, that recipe is about 23 ingredients.  The least of them being the yeast. 

I just need to take a month and immerse myself with the 8 different flours I need to use and just experiment.  I swear to God above and all of the Gluten Free victims out there that I will find a way to make GF baking fun and enjoyable with the results both decadent and familiar.

Until then, I will have to rely on Betty Crocker - yeah, baking out of a box.  (Sigh.) Their brownies actually kick some easy butt - add some cream cheese butter cream icing and you have a tiny bite of normal. 


I'd love to hear any Gluten Free gems you've found - I've been GF for about 8 months now, and obviously I'm still learning!  Happy Baking and I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment