Friday, July 13, 2012

Where's Spicoli When You Need Him?

So today came and went - what a day it was!  Before I get into the rest of this post, I just wanted to let you all know that my blood work came back at a very good level so it looks like Baby McGowan is going strong!  Woohoo!  Now I have to hold out until Monday for test #3.  I'm being micro-managed right now because I'm so high risk --eventually I'll be cut loose to my 'regular' doctor - not sure who that is yet, but I have a few weeks to figure that out.

For now, I'm already into the nausea and heartburn - they are being nice and alternating right now.  I'm not complaining mind you, I'm just swallowing a lot  - going to be a long nine months isn't it? :o)

The problem that hit me today is that I realized that I hardly shop in a store anymore! OMG!  Oh the horror!  Mon Dieu!  What have I been thinking?   So here's how it went down...a  friend at work mentioned a brand of hard candies that would help with the nausea and told me what store I should go to here in town to get them.  So what did I do?  I went online to Amazon - beloved Amazon - and ordered them - free shipping, no tax of course.

(I think I'm going to embroider that - free shipping, no tax.  Maybe on a pillow?  At a minimum on a wall hanging of some sort.  It's a beautiful sentiment isn't it? )

Sweet mercy - I've lost it.  I think I've lost the spark for shopping in a store.  It's so much easier to go online and just get what I want - it saves time and usually money.  I've lost the thrill of the hunt - the urge to go digging through piles of stuff and rack upon rack of clothes (that are all completely ugly - but you never know what you might find there.)  That moment when you go through the crap and unearth a pair of Cole Haan loafers for $29.99 - in your size - is just so much fun too!  Look what I'm missing!

I think shopping online has made me lazy.  Sure, it's efficient and cheaper - but it's no where near as much fun.  I can't remember the last time I was in a Pottery Barn outlet or even a shoe store!  Because my feet are smaller than the bound feet of ancient Chinese women, I buy most of my shoes online - better selection in the size 5 and under sections that way.

I think the time has come to go to the mall....or maybe Steinmart or (go crazy) maybe the outlets....I need to go to a place with a food court and a Starbucks.  I need to channel Spicoli and the kids from Fast Times at Ridgemont High and 'hang' at the mall for a while.   I'll probably hate it when I get there because I won't find what I'm looking for or shoes in my size, but my world just feels empty without it.   

Amazon, dear Amazon, I promise I won't by any toilet paper or gluten free flours or books on my visit to the mall - you are still my first shopping love.  I just need to touch and see the pretty colors, smell the leatha and try things on for a change.  I'll be back - this I know.  I'll be back.

Happy Friday (the 13th) Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment